What do I need to do to become a preceptor?
1) Get permission from your professor to become a preceptor.
- Many instructors are unfamiliar with using preceptors, so students can direct them to this site, and also offer ideas about how using preceptors can compliment their course.
2) Enroll via UAccess for our PTYS 297A: Teaching Teams Professional Development Workshop
Due to COVID-19, we have created an online section of PTYS 297A. This section and its content/assignments are the exact same as the in-person experience. Our instructors want to see each student succeed throughout PTYS 297A - so if you have any hesitations about wanting to learn online, feel free to reach out to our Instructional Specialist, Hannah Edwards, at PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnVycWpuZXFmQHljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+dXJxam5lcWZAeWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg==.
Our workshop does not start until the 4th week of undergraduate classes. If you need to sign up after the close of the UAccess Open Enrollment period, email Hannah Edwards (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnVycWpuZXFmQHljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+dXJxam5lcWZAeWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg==) or Dr. Stephen Kortenkamp (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnhiZWdyYXhuQHljeS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+eGJlZ3JheG5AeWN5Lm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg==) to enroll.
3) Fill out a contract with your professor. So that both you and your professor are clear on your duties and expectations as a preceptor, we will give you a contract to fill out with your professor via D2L.
4) Once you are enrolled, you are now a preceptor!
How is the PTYS 297A workshop graded?
The workshop letter grade is determined in the following way:
- 33.3% of your final grade is based on the completion of agreed-upon preceptor duties in your supervising instructor's course (if you are not a preceptor, this portion is repaced by your professional development project)
- 66.7% of your final grade is based on the your participation in the Professional Development Workshop
What is the attendance policy for the Workshop?
Preceptors enrolled in PTYS 297A are required to attend all 10 workshops, unless they provide a Dean's Excuse to the instructor. Students must provide all documentation for the absence within 24 hours of the absence date. There is no specific time students must log on for the ONLINE Section of PTYS 297A.
The typical duration of most courses in the fall/spring is 16 weeks. Because the Workshop is shortened to just 10 weeks, and is a participation/discussion based course, any absences will significantly affect your grade. When you enroll you will recieve a copy of the syllabus with the grading policy regarding absences.